Your basket
Your basket
0 items - £0.00

Personal tools

Home Ministry Retired Clergy

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Retired Clergy

by Michael Ford last modified 10 May, 2022 03:01 PM

Supporting approximately 600 retired clergy in this Diocese.

Updated Listing Approaching retirement? Read this
There are new Guidelines for those with PtO here.

Click here for Bishop's Guidelines for Parish Fees.



More to come!

Your Clergy Retirement Officers are:



There are around 600 'retired' clergy in the Diocese. The two Area Retirement Officers (AROs), on behalf of the Bishop of Salisbury, have an overview of their pastoral care and support, including both those who hold the Bishop’s permission to officiate and those who are no longer involved in formal ministry, those who have been in stipendiary ministry and those who have been self-supporting.

The AROs work closely with the Deanery Retirement Officers (DROs) for each deanery, who are appointed locally in conjunction with the rural dean. Typically, the DROs monitor the well-being of retired colleagues in their deanery, arranging social events and sometimes discussions on matters of common interest, keeping in touch in times of serious illness or family concerns.

DROs communicate with their ARO when retired clergy move into or away from their deanery, at times of bereavement, or when there are concerns relating to housing, clergy pensions, or ministry issues. Some deaneries have someone else who organises events for retired clergy.

The AROs also work with the Widows’ Officers in each archdeaconry, who are able to give practical and pastoral support to partners when clergy die. The AROs attend clergy funerals on behalf of the Bishop of Salisbury and, together with the Widows’ Officers and DROs, maintain contact with the bishops’ and area offices in order to support the administrative processes required when circumstances change.

Deanery Retirement Officers

Click here for a guide to the role. NB: where there is a vacancy, in case of need please contact the Rural Dean or the Area Retirement Officer.

Document Actions